Monday 19 March 2012

Iris Folding

Day 21 - Iris Folding

Due a technical hitch, my original post seems to have been lost. So nearly two years later, I've dug out the original photos and will try and remember what I did!


This is another craft I'd never done before. First, I needed a selection of patterned papers and an iris folding template.

The paper could be shop bought paper, printed or even wrapping paper. I printed mine from an online site. 

I photo-copied an iris folding pattern from a craft book I had at home. I then cut the papers into rectangular strips. I think mine were 2cm x 7cm but this will depend on the pattern you use. 
As I had no appropriate aperture cards, I decided to make an iris folded picture, which I would then mount onto a blank card.

I cut out a large circular aperture, framed with a white card ring, and added a bunny head. 
I then turned the card over (as you work from the back), placed the iris folding template underneath and secured the card on top. 
Before you start placing the strips of paper, they all have to be folded lengthways, giving a nice neat edge.

I laid the first folded strips down, using the lines as guides, working from the outside in. It helps to number the lines.
I repeated the order of the strips, completing layer after layer, each time matching the folded edge of the strip with the next set of lines, twisting and moving in. 

I've used glue sparingly so that it only goes on where papers join and doesn't end up on the front of the design.

I kept going until the design filled up and I covered the remaining centre square with another piece of paper.




I've finished off my cards by mounting the iris folding design onto a card and adding a few extra trims - tail, grass, butterfly, message - sweet!

What a nice surprise you get when you turn the design around!





No comments:

Post a Comment