Tuesday 27 March 2012

Glass Painting

Day 30 - Glass Painting

I've been looking forward to doing some more glass painting. Usually I paint on old coffee jars and fill with sweets for sale at Christmas or summer fairs.  However, I also found some lovely clip top jars that I'd bought ages ago for making peaches in brandy - disastrous! 






I've made up my own designs, with some internet inspiration and this morning I'm painting the outline reliefs.  Hopefully, they'll be dry enough tonight to fill them in. The jars are all soaked in warm water to get the labels off and I've found the easiest way to get rid of the glue residue is rubbing it off with white spirit.







Having wrapped the design into the jar I sometimes use paper towel in the middle to push the paper until it nearly touches the jar.  The coffee jars are ok for this because they are quite straight, however I found transferring the design onto the large jars harder as the shape curves  in at the top. Possibly something worth thinking about when choosing objects to paint onto. 




Here are all the finished outlines.
I decided to use black relief for the small children's jars and a silver relief for the daffodils. The photos show work part through. Once the relief was dried I began filing in the outlines with glass paints.  I have various brands of glass paints, some are better than others for different jobs; some are thick, some runny, some go on opaque to dry translucent, some go on much as it will look dried.   




These are how the chicks looked when they'd just been painted.


Though the method is quite like silk painting, unlike silk painting if you make a mistake you can usually correct it, when you're outlining or filling in.







Here are the finished jars......

With a flash on, the colours aren't true.  The bunny is definitely brown - not pink!

Oh I forgot - they're not quite finished, hopefully by Sunday they'll have a few treats inside too! 

These jars look great too, but the paints are still drying - again hope to update another day.






1 comment:

  1. oooh!!! like these - would like them more with sweeties in!! ;-) (shame I have given them up for lent....)

    ReplyDelete