Saturday 24 March 2012

Flannel Bunnies

Day 28 - Flannel Bunnies

Well, I've just returned from the church Saturday Club, where today they made the 40days project.  About twenty children made flannel/face cloth bunnies.  The original plan was to make them to sell at church tomorrow, however many of the children decided to buy them and take them home today - could have had something to do with the chocolate egg the rabbit is holding!

Here's quick instructions for making them......

First get a flannel/face cloth and fold it on the diagonal into a triangle. Then roll it into a thin tube.

 

Next bend the two ends together and fold them back to make the ears.



Tie a ribbon around the flannel to make the head. For Saturday Club we sometimes secured this part with an  elastic band first.

We finished them off with self-adhesive eyes, glued on pompom tails and noses and not forgetting the egg!
You can secure the bunnies or neaten them with stitching or add whiskers but I think it depends on how much time you have and whether you are likely to want to use the face cloth as a face cloth.

Here are the ones we made at Saturday Club:


Thanks to all the help from Saturday Club I should get an afternoon off now - not likely. I've still got some orders to make and husband has just returned from Hobbycraft with more bunnies for the pyrography on Day 25 as I've sold the ones I've made before they even get to church.

**Update**


Still thinking about flannel animals. 
I have since made flannel reindeer at school as Christmas gifts for childrens' parents. Each reindeer hides a bar of soap. Sorry I don't have a tutorial on this blog yet so for now - easily found on the web. Of course if you want to substitute the soap for something else small box shaped.......... 

4 comments:

  1. they are fab! love the group photo - each one with a different character! I bet your car knows its own way to Hobby craft now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are fab!!! would just go nicely with the origami bunnies we made in Breakfast Club last week. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. By changing the egg for a small bar of soap, they could be included in shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child http://www.operationchristmaschild.org.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, you could add different things into the bunny. If you're really looking for a Christmas idea though, you could make flannel reindeer instead - these need a bar of soap and some other bits and pieces. I've made them before (see photo with post) but don't yet have a tutorial on my blog - easily found elsewhere on web. What a good idea - I work in a school and we do Christmas shoe boxes, perhaps I'll do these Christmas 2014.

      Delete