Thursday 22 March 2012

Wire Sculpture

Day 26 - Wire Sculpture Cross

Well today has been the closest I have come to failing on one of the projects.  

I had an idea in my head but wasn't quite sure exactly how it would work.  This is sometimes the problem with trying new things, but I only have the day to make it work.  

I drew the outline image of a cross and all the swirly bits I would make with the wire to fill it in.  Everything started well enough as I made the outline of the cross quite easily.


All the wire popping out of place
I'm using a stiff garden wire as I was worried the craft wire I originally bought may not hold its shape well. I then used a variety of objects to bend the wire around to make the inside of the cross.  However, half way through this part I realised that getting the cross to lie flat may well be impossible as I was already using all of my eight arms and bundles of masking tape to hold the whole thing in place! 

I decided that a better way to get the cross to hold together was to wrap the inside wire over and under the cross outline. I took the whole thing off the board and tried to go back and wrap the wires around. After quite a long, frustrating time, with wire pinging around me and nothing really going where I wanted, I decide to abandon the first cross and go to plan B.

Plan B meant starting a new cross, bending the wire a little more freehand, not securing it to a board, not trying to be so precise and accepting that sometimes it is easier to let the wire bend where it wants to. 










Success! When I had finished the second cross I returned to the first and finished it off too.  They are not as neat as I had planned but I like them.  To hold them together a little more securely, I used Bostik in places. 













The crosses looked ok but I had already decided that I wanted to spray paint them black and add glass nuggets.  Here they are hanging on the wall.....















It just goes to show it's important to persevere, I'm sure if I was not on the 40days project I would have given up on this one.












2 comments:

  1. Sarah all your crafts are wonderful. Well done for persevering not just on this one but on all of them. Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it. Thanks for the inspiration. I'm going to try this.

    ReplyDelete