Friday 16 March 2012

Knitted Chicks


Day 21 - Knitted Chicks

When I first mooted the idea of the 40days project my headteacher was the first person to come to me with an idea that she had seen for an Easter themed craft - knitting.  The pattern I've used has come from the site naturalsuburbia.blogspot.com  On the site there are lots of sweet knitting patterns for all sorts of small knitting projects.  I've decided to knit a chick - or two, with eggs and possibly a nest.  


I've bought a fluffy yellow wool for the chicks and some bright multi-coloured wool for the eggs.  Hopefully I'll be able to find some brown wool at home for the nest.  The pattern I'm using is strictly speaking for use with circular needles but I don't have circular needles so I'm following the pattern and sewing up the seams. 

Here is the knitting halfway through the chick body.


This photo shows what the chick body looks like towards the end of the knitting. You can see how it will bend round to make a kind of pear shape.
Once the body was finished I made a couple of wings. (The pattern for all of this is on the naturalsuburbia website.)
I sewed up most of the seam, just leaving a small gap to push the stuffing through. After stuffing the chick's body quite firmly I moulded it into shape.

Here's the chick's body with cute wings attached. 



Peepo! Look what's sitting in the fabric box from Day18!

The original pattern suggests using needle felt to make eyes but I don't have the equipment to do that, so I've simply used thick embroidery thread to make them.  The beak is made from a small loop of wool which is then woven with the same thread.

I haven't quite got around to making the eggs yet - I've got another project I need to complete tonight.  Depending on how quickly that one goes, some eggs might magically appear before the night is out.


No comments:

Post a Comment