Saturday 17 March 2012

Cake Pops

Day 22 - Cake Pops

Thought it was about time I made another edible craft!  I first saw this idea a while ago but have never quite got around to trying it.  After I made the chick cupcakes I kept a little cake leftover and had a practice at making a cake pop recipe.


Cake pops are deliciously moist little bites of cake mixed with some cream cheese frosting.  You can use ready made ingredients - cake and frosting which would be quicker but today I'm going to make them from scratch.


First I've used the following basic recipe to make the cake: butter 120g, caster sugar 150g, 1 tsp vanilla essence, 2 eggs, SR flour 180g, 4 tbsp milk.


While this was cooking I mixed up the following frosting recipe: butter 80g, cream cheese 40g, icing sugar 20g, 1 tsp vanilla essence.







Once the cake had cooled I could break it into small crumbs and then mixed the cake crumbs with the frosting mixture.  At this point you can decide what shape you want to make your cake pops into.  As my challenge has to be Easter themed, I thought I'd simply roll them into balls to make Easter chicks. Once rolled I put them in the fridge for a short while.








When the cake pop balls were a little firmer, I melted a small amount of specially bought candy melts according to instructions.  Again you could probably use other kinds of melted chocolate but I think you'd have to experiment.  The candy melts were bought from Hobbycraft where you can get a full range of colours. Next I needed to stick the lolly sticks into the cake balls. As I've wanted to try this for a while I had already bought lollipop sticks (cake making, not the wooden craft type!). Taking advice from the internet, I put some melted chocolate onto the end of the sticks, pushed the sticks into the cake balls and then left these to set for a while.


Finally, what I assumed would be the most tricky bit!  I melted the rest of the candy melts in a large bowl and then took out the cake pops one at a time and dipped them in the chocolate. After dipping I stood them in glasses.










I didn't expect the cake pops to come out perfectly as this is the first time I've dipped chocolate. I think they're ok! To make small chick heads I've decorated the balls with red icing and food colouring to draw on faces


As I decided to go the whole hog, I also bought some professional looking cake pop covers and ties. I suppose if you are going to eat them pretty soon after then you wouldn't need these. Yummy!!




P.S. I did use the cake pop covers for some BUT the glace icing I'd used and the food colouring started to come off! Oops! I guess if you use fondant icing it'd probably be ok.



1 comment: