Wednesday 28 March 2012

Lino Printing

Day 31 - Lino Printing

Day 31 - it feels like I'm on the homestretch now and I'm definitely marvelling at the commitment of those who take up the '365 make one thing a day' challenge.  Today's project is one I've been putting off a little as although I knew I wanted to dig out my lino printing set, I've not been exactly sure what to do with it. 

I have to confess that I've had this kit since I was at art college aged 19 (some 20+ years ago!), still have the lino cuts I made then but can't think I've ever used the kit since.  Most amazing is the fact that the printing inks with the kit STILL work.  Ooh, I tell a small lie, I have had the lino tools out fairly recently - I carved a pumpkin with them last Hallowe'en.








I digress.  As there was a wodge of paper within the kit I decided I'd make some notelet sets.  Firstly, I made some drawings that I then transferred to the pieces of lino using carbon copy paper. 




I began to cut out the designs from the hard lino using the specially sharp cutting tools.  To my own cost I've learnt that you really need to always carve in a direction away from your hands as the tools all too easily will take nicks out of your fingers and hands. I made three different lino prints: a sheep, grass and a flower. 








Once I had carved the designs out I squeezed the ink out onto a piece of glass and used the roller to apply the ink to the lino prints.  I practised printing a few times before applying them onto the paper and (what would be) matching envelopes. It's not an exact science but I think that's half the charm.  In the end I was really pleased with the effect.





On some notelets, the extra black became stems for the flowers.

I've decided to sell them as 'Notelets for Ewe', useful for occasions including Thank Ewe, Thinking of Ewe, Happy Birthday to Ewe - you get the idea!  I'm going to offer them in packs of four notelets and matching envelopes, probably bagged up and tied with ribbon and tag.  I can't actually bag them up yet as the ink is still drying but this is roughly what they'll look like.  




See 'ewe' tomorrow!





2 comments: