Wednesday 21 March 2012

Pyrography

Day 25 - Pyrography


I've never tried pyrography before, so remembering that I had some wooden spoons in the cupboard I had ordered myself a wood burning tool.  I also bought some wooden egg cups.  However, once I had seen these blank wooden bunny shapes in Hobbycraft yesterday, I couldn't wait to have a go and these became my priority item.








Note: Need to wear gloves as the tool does get very hot.
I have previously used a wooded spoon to practice with my wood burning tool as it came with a selection of tips, each making different marks. The hardest thing, I felt, was to do lettering, although perhaps this is particularly hard on the spoon's curved surface.




I was hoping that as the bunny shape is all flat it would be a little easier (!).  I started by making an outline drawing of the bunny and its dress, boots and facial features.  


I then swapped tips so that I could make the pretty flower shapes on the dress top.  A different tip was then used to fill in the leaves and yet another tip to make the cross hatching pattern on the dress. Phew!






Handily, I've left a band in the middle of the dress for a name! I have since added my youngest daughter's name to one of the three I made and then given that bunny a coat of varnish.









I did also have a go at burning a small picture of chicks onto the side of one egg cup.  I wonder if I'll find time to do a few more of these as well.  

Update: I did find time to do a few more.  Good job as someone ordered four! I've also added names to the back of the egg cups.  I've also got orders for more named bunnies.




2 comments: