Tuesday 6 March 2012

Kirigami

Day 12 - Kirigami

As a child I remember one of my favourite books being a large Hans Christian Anderson fairy tales book. I particularly remember the inside cover and the book introduction pages which were covered with an intricate pattern and a picture of Hans Christian Anderson cutting out dainty paper images for small children.  I still have the book.....



Today I realise that the craft of folding and cutting paper is called kirigami. We've probably all done a bit of kirigami for making paper snowflakes but I thought I would use the craft to make a few more Easter cards.  I started by drawing some Easter designs onto one side of pieces of folded paper.  I then used these to trace the image onto the pieces of folded paper I would be using.



I tried to use small scissors to cut out the designs - keeping the paper folded - but felt that they weren't quite neat enough so I changed to using a scalpel instead. My worry using a scalpel was that I would cut right through an important part of the design but luckily I didn't make too many mistakes.


Once I had carefully cut out the designs I unfolded the paper and simply mounted them into three fold cards with various backing papers.  I'll probably add some Happy Easter labels. Hey presto - kirigami Easter cards but not quite Hans Christian Anderson standard!


No comments:

Post a Comment