Saturday 3 March 2012

Cupcakes

Day 10 - Easter Chick Cupcakes

As it's my daughter's birthday party today and I'd be making cupcakes anyway, I had decided to double up and make some Easter chick cupcakes.  I baked traditional vanilla flavoured cupcakes but the most fun was in the decorating.


I've used ready made yellow fondant icing to make the chicks. I've rolled the icing into larger and smaller balls and then used a touch of water to join them on top of each other.  Next I rolled out the icing and cut it into tiny wings for the chicks - this was a little labour intensive, 46 wings required for 23 cakes - again sticking with a bit of water.  





To make the beaks I used small scissors to make a little nick in the 'head' ball. The chicks were finished off with a bit of food colouring for inside the mouth and the eyes.




Once I'd made about thirteen chicks I had to stop to take my daughter to Fired4U for her party! They all had a great time enamelling jewellery and then came back for tea.  So, I didn't get back to the cakes until about 8 o'clock.  

I 'd made some pale green butter icing which I piped onto the cakes and then sat the chicks on top.



Luckily my daughter has a cake stand to display them on.  They're all going to church tomorrow - hopefully there will not be many left.  Don't they look too cute to eat?!!

2 comments:

  1. Yum!!! did you save some for me?!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, afraid not! But would gingerbread bunnies be ok? Little hint to a future craft!

      Delete