Tuesday 28 February 2012

Calligraphy

Day 6 - Calligraphy

Calligraphy or calligrams had to be one of the projects as it was whilst I was looking for calligrams online that I came upon the 'one thing a day', 365.com sites that were my original inspiration for this project.


It has also been an excuse to dig out my calligraphy pens that I've had for twenty (+) years but have not used regularly for some time. My husband lent me his double nibbed pen (not that he uses it either!).

They all needed a clean out but each worked as well as they ever did.






I started by making a design based on a cross shape, incorporating Easter themed wording. I then stuck it to a window so that I could trace the image onto white cartridge paper.









Once I had the images on the cartridge paper I sat with my pens filling in the design, using different sized nibs and styles. I quite liked the design to stay simple but one of my daughters preferred it with some flowers so I made a few with and without flowers.  I've found frame to put one of the finished designs in but I'm on a hunt for a few more.







Unfortunately, in my eagerness I tried to rub out the original pencil lines too early and spoiled one of the four crosses - tsk, tsk, I should have known better!

Therefore, I'm now leaving the others to dry completely.......



Here are two of the finished crosses (still pencil lines on one on the left!)
Update: I made three but took more orders on these crosses too!


No comments:

Post a Comment