Friday 24 February 2012

Fabric Daffodils

Day 3 - Fabric Daffodils

Today, I managed to start my craft project during my lunch hour, meaning I would be able to post the blog earlier than I did yesterday.  Whilst thinking of all the craft projects I could do, I did realise that some projects would take longer to complete than others and no doubt some days I will have more time than others.  Trying to work out the best day to do which craft is probably one of the trickier parts of this challenge.

Anyway, today I've made fabric daffodil headbands and brooches.  My eldest daughter and I were taught how to do these flowers on a rather lovely holiday in Devon. She has since made quite a few for her friends and so I thought it was about time I had a go.



Rectangle size 5 inches x 2.75 inches


For each petal you start with a rectangle of material, fold it in half (right sides together) and then sew up the side that touches the fold.  Unfortunately in a moment of absent-mindedness, I sewed the wrong edge on quite a few petals and had to go back to square one - not good when you've got a time limit!











The next step is to cut the sewn squares to make a curved edge. Once you have turned these small cones inside out you make a running stitch all along the curved edge of each petal, joining six of them together.  A gentle pull on the thread brings the petals in nicely.









To finish the flowers you can use felt or material to cover the centres, putting a little stuffing in between. As it is an Easter project I've tried to make these flowers look a little like daffodils but of course you can use any colours.








Here are the finished headband and brooch. I think they also look nice pinned on bags, clothing etc....



Still didn't manage to post it any earlier, must try harder!

See you tomorrow!

Update: I've taken more orders for the headbands after one child wore one to school!

1 comment:

  1. You got the comments working!
    And 7.5% of the way through your challenge!
    Joy

    ReplyDelete