Saturday 25 February 2012

Silk Painting

Day 4  - Silk Painting

Day 4 ...In the Big Crafts House...

I've been looking forward to today's project - silk painting - as it is a craft I've never tried before.  Of course, this means I'll have to make sure I have a standby project ready in case things don't go as well as I hope!

I've bought some silk sun catchers and made up my own Easter themed designs.  I placed the designs under the sun catchers and painted the outline, using gutta, straight onto the catchers.  Having done this, I'm leaving them to dry while I can get on with other exciting weekend jobs like ironing, groan...









Once the gutta was dry I started to fill in the daffodil areas with the silk paint.  It's very easy to apply so I've tried a little bit of blending.

Unfortunately by the time I'd finished the three sun catchers I've done (two daffodil and a cross and flowers) the sun was a little past catching!








The next time the sun shines I'll swap these photos for some more effective ones.  

I've painted the background quite freely. Though not intentional, where I've painted over paint that was already drying the colours have left a rough edge rather than blending. 









The sun catchers aren't quite finished - I still have to set the paint using a iron and decide on the best way to hang them.  I' ll set them later as I still have an ever-growing pile of ironing to get through!

Tomorrow I take Days1-4 to church, hopefully some people will buy cards (made six), daffodil bands or brooches (made three of each) or sun catchers.   





P.S. Quite hard to 'iron' fix these and then I remembered you can use a hairdrier!

Update: I've taken six more orders on suncatchers.





All Saint's Higher Walton Website









3 comments:

  1. Love the design cant wait to see the finished painted piece

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah I tweeted out your blog and put it on Fired 4 U facebook. It was picked up by a blogger on twitter and has been put in their daily newspaper! Here is the link for you to see http://paper.li/GoodBlogPosts1/1309670488

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, thanks for that! Hopefully I'll see you soon as part of my 40days project.

    ReplyDelete