Tuesday 3 April 2012

Quilting

Day 36 - Quilting Block

A few weeks ago I had two designs for making a patchwork cushion. I never really got around to using the rabbit design and so I'm re-inventing it to make some quilting blocks. Here are the pieces I had already cut and how they should come together to make a rabbit face. Each square  measures about 4cm without allowing for selvedge. 






Now that I've machine stitched them together this will make the centre of my rabbit quilt block.






I've edged the rabbit block with a lovely green leaf patterned material but I've added something extra to the bottom edge.  Along the bottom edge I have created a small pocket by splitting the strip in two and adding another layer of material to one side. I've placed the pocket piece on top of a green leaf piece and then sewed them both to the other half of the bottom strip.  I've used material from the raw edge and so haven't bothered to hem it. Having finished the bottom strip with pocket, I then sewed on the top and both side pieces.


As I'm busy at the machine I decided to put the front, wadding and back together and quilt the blocks before adding a bias binding edging. I'm machine stitching the front side of the bias binding and I'll hand sew the back.
Note: we were in the middle of a monopoly card game
- multi-tasking! 










To make some carrots to go in the pocket I've simply taken a quarter of a circle of orange felt, folded it in half and stitched it up the side to make a cone shape.  I've turned the carrot inside out and stuffed it. To finish the carrot I've taken a running stitch around the top and pulled it tight whilst slipping in some green felt for the carrot top.  Finally I've secured the green felt in place with a few stitches. Though it sounds easy, it was quite fiddly!



Our bunny needs a face, so I've added a nose and stitched on mouth and whiskers.  I've found some matching buttons for eyes.  For now the carrots can simply sit in the bunny's pocket but I might add a ribbon to stop them from getting lost later.


Yes - I haven't finished the binding and the buttons need fixing in place but I'm off to do those now in front of the telly!

Good night - only 4 more days to go!

1 comment:

  1. Marvelous, what a webpage it is! This blog provides helpful information to us, keep
    it up.
    my webpage :: burberry headband

    ReplyDelete